Miso and Japanese Gin mackerel ingredients
- 2 fillets of fresh mackerel
- 2 teaspoons miso paste (I used white organic miso from M & S)
- Juice of 1/2 a charred lime
- Small bunch of corriander chopped finely
- 1 small chunk of ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 chilli chopped finely
- 6 teaspoons of Nikka Coffey Japanese Gin (Or sub for another Japanese Yuzu Gin)
- 3 teaspoons mirin
- 3 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
Asian salad ingredients
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1 carrot sized daikon julienned
- 1 handfull beansprouts
- 2 inch thick cucumber cut into batons
- 1 spring onion sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Put a frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Slice a lime in half and put one half, flesh side down in the dry pan for a couple of minutes to char.
- Slice the spring onion and peel and julienne the daikon. Add both to a bowl of cold water to get some of the harshness out for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, add the miso paste, juice of the charred lime, chopped corriander, grated ginger, garlic powder, chopped chilli, Nikka Coffe Gin, mirin and rice wine vinegar and give it a stir. Put to the side for dressing the dish later on.
- Take the daikon and spring onion out of the water and pat dry. Peel then julienne the carrot. Add to a bowl or plate with the washed beansprouts, daikon, half of the spring onions and give a little toss to combine.
- Add a little oil to the pan and cook the mackgrel skin side down first. I used a griddle pan and the skin stuck to the pan after a minute but was cooked through so i pulled it off the fish and put to one side to add as a topping later on.
- Turn the fish after a couple of minutes. They don’t need too long as they can be quite thin.
- When the fish is cooked through, remove from the pan and place on top of the asian salad.
- If you removed the fish skin, chop it into little shards.
- Drizzle the miso dressing on top of the fish and top with sesame seeds, the rest of the spring onions and the crispy little shards of fish skin.