Salsa Verde Recipe Ingredients
- 3 small cornichons chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets rinsed
- 1 big bunch of parsley chopped finely (None of those mini bags from the supermarket. Get a bunch from your local market)
- Leaves from 2 sprigs of mint chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1/4 of a banana shallot chopped finely
- 1/4 roasted red pepper from a jar chopped finely
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 3 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- A good glug of olive oil. You can add more later if needs be
- Ground black pepper to taste
You can either add everything to a food processor and blitz or I used a hand blender to make the mix slightly smooth. Don’t go too mental as you don’t want it too runny and still have a bit of texture.
This can be done a day ahead as it keeps well for a few days in the fridge. I used some leftovers with fried runny eggs on toast for breakfast the following day, which were lush!
Puy lentils with red wine ingredients
- 1 tin of ready cooked green lentils
- 1/2 carrot chopped finely
- 3/4 banana shallot chopped finely
- 1/2 celery stick chopped finely
- 1 stock cube with 50ml hot water
- 1 clove garlic grated
- leaves from 2 cavolo nero stalks chopped into ribbons
- glug of red wine or vermouth
- Black pepper to taste
- Gently fry the carrot for a few minutes in olive oil on it’s own. Add the shallot and celery and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and cavolo nero and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils,stock, water and wine/vermouth and stir.
- Cook on medium heat so that the veg and lentils take in some of the flavour, soften and the liquid reduces for about 10 minutes.
Serve with a medium / rare steak sliced in slithers and / or a large king prawn and a few dollops of the salsa verde