Korean Beef Short Rib Ingredients
- 2 ribs of beef
- 4 cloves of garlic squashed with palm of the hand
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger sliced
- 4 spring onions chopped
- 1 chinese pear pureed or grated
These measurements below were rough and didn’t use any measuring devices
- 60ml light soy sauce
- 30ml water
- 30ml rice wine / mirin
- Drizzle sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons gochujang sauce
- 1 teaspoon gochugarw red pepper flakes
Asian Slaw Ingredients
1 medium kolrabi, peeled and julienned
¼ cucumber cut into battons
2 carrots julienned
4 leaves of Chinese lettuce washed and sliced
2 spring onions sliced thinly
Bunch fresh coriander
light soy sauce
toasted sesame oil
- Add all the ingredients for the beef ribs marinade apart from the ribs in a casserole dish and mix.
- I browned the ribs on all sides in a hot pan to sear, then added to the casserole dish of marinade. Turn around or pour over the mixture so it’s coated.
- Either put the casserole lid on or wrap in foil to steam as it’s cooking. I cooked my two ribs on 150C for around 2 hours.
- Meanwhile make the Asian slaw by chopping and julienning the veg and adding to a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of one lime, a glug of soy sauce and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil in a little jar. Stir and pour over the salad.
- I took out, turned the ribs over and cooked for an additional 30 minutes on 220C with the foil back on till it was soft and tender.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Take a pile of the slaw and place on a plate. Top with the rib of beef and spoon over a bit of the resting juices in the dish.
- Scatter with thinly sliced chilli, chopped fresh coriander and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.