Thai Turkey and Bacon Meatball Recipe
- 100g thai bacon chopped into small chunks (or standard bacon if you don’t *sign up to Cure and Simple, which you should by the way)
- 500g minced turkey
- 4 spring onions chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic grated
- 1″ squared chunk of ginger grated
- 3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- teaspoon korean red pepper flakes (or dried chilli flakes if you don’t have any)
- small bunch corriander chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon lemongrass powder or 1 finely chopped fresh stalk
My turkey mince was quite wet to start with because I had frozen it and defrosted it and added with the wet ingredients meant it had a little bit too much moisture. To help bind the mixture and give a bit of texture I added a couple of spoonfulls of panko breadcrumbs at a time until it made the mixture less wet to work with.
- Fry the bacon to for a few minutes to cook slightly and for the fat to render out. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the garlic, ginger and spring onion for a minute or two in the bacon fat then remove from the pan.
- Add the bacon, onion, garlic and spring onion mixture to a large bowl with the minced turkey.
- Add the fish sauce, palm sugar, zest and juice of lime, red pepper flakes, corriander and lemongrass to the bowl. Mix the ingredients into the turkey mince for a few minutes with your hands to fully combine.
- Take small mounds of the minced mixture and shape into little balls and place on a plate or baking tray until you’ve used up all the mixture.
- Heat a little coconut oil or olive oil into a wok then add all the meatballs. Cook until slightly browned on all sides then add to the oven on 200C for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Peanut Butter Sriracha Chilli Noodle Recipe
- 200g dried udon noodles
- 3 teaspoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons sriracha chilli sauce
- juice of half a lime
- sesame seeds to decorate
- Place the noodles in salted water and cook to the packets instructions. Take a cup of the cooking liquid before draining the noodles and set aside.
- Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha to a small bowl and stir to mix. Add to a warm pan and cook for 30-60 seconds or until it starts to bubble slightly. Add the peanut butter and lime juice to the pan and stir until the peanut butter is smooth.
- Drop the cooked noodles into the pan and toss with a pair of tongs to coat the noodles in the sauce. Add a bit of the reserved noodle cooking water a bit at a time to loosen the noodles and make the sauce a bit lighter as the peanut butter can be quite thick.
- Once evenly coated, remove the noodles and divide between two bowls. Add a little more sesame oil if you like and a scattering of sesame seeds.
- Top with the cooked meatballs and devour at your leisure.